The Anchorites


November 2015

The Anchorites onboard HQS Wellington - Nov 2015
horizontal line

Ladies' Night
September 2105

The Anchorites - Ladies Night onboard HQS Wellington, Sept 2015
horizontal line

May 2015

The Anchorites onboard HQS Wellington - May 2015
horizontal line

March 2015

The Anchorites onboard HQS Wellington - March 2015

horizontal line

May 2014

The Anchorites onboard HQS Wellington - May 2014

horizontal line

November 2013

The Anchorites onboard HQS Wellington - Nov 2013

horizontal line

October 2013

The Anchorites onboard HQS Wellington - Oct 2013

horizontal line

September 2013

The Anchorites onboard HQS Wellington - Sept 2013

horizontal line

Ladies Night, April 2013

The Anchorites - Ladies Night on board HQS Wellington, April 2013   The Anchorites - Ladies Night on board HQS Wellington, April 2013
horizontal line

March 2013

The Anchorites onboard HQS Wellington - Sept 2013

horizontal line

THE ANCHORITES - HISTORY

The Anchorites were founded in 1919 by Frank C. Bowen, a well known writer on maritime subjects; Francis E. McMurtrie, for years the Editor of “Jane's Fighting Ships" and Lieutenant W.E. Menday RNVR. The two main objects of the club are to discuss ships and shipping matters and to promote - in an unofficial manner - closer harmony between all branches of the Sea Services. All members must have a common interest in, and be associated with the sea. The first dinner was held in September 1919 and this year we are celebrating our 94th anniversary. A monthly dinner is held at which the principal guest is invited to talk on some aspect of sea affairs.
All Foreign and Commonwealth Naval Attaches are made honorary members while in post in London. Members may invite their own guests and introduce them "without regard for the truth, their guest's feelings or the laws of slander". The loyal toast is always preceded by the hearty singing of “Here's a health unto Her Majesty".
During the Second World War membership was extended to all Allied naval officers serving in this country and this resulted in the formation of a number of sister clubs in The Netherlands, Norway and Poland.
In 1999 the club moved to its present home in the singularly appropriate Headquarters Ship “Wellington”, Livery Hall of The Honourable Company of Master Mariners. In 2004 we were delighted to take part in the 60th Anniversary celebrations of our Netherlands and Norwegian sister clubs and last year they in turn joined us for our own celebrations to commemorate Her Majesty's The Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

horizontal line