The Worshipful Company of Tylers and Bricklayers

www.tylersandbricklayers.co.uk

Court & Livery Luncheon for Masters and Clerks - June 2014

The Worshipful Company of Tylers and Bricklayers - Court & Livery Luncheon onboard HQS Wellington, June 2014   The Worshipful Company of Tylers and Bricklayers - Court & Livery Luncheon onboard HQS Wellington, June 2014

horizontal line

A Brief History of The Worshipful Company of Tylers and Bricklayers

The earliest reference to the Company is in 1416 though records show that a Guild representing the crafts was in existence well before that time. The Company's Charter was granted in 1568. A City Ordinance of 1570 defined its area of control as being within a radius of 15 miles of the City.

The Company flourished initially with brick and tiles being used in place of timber and thatch. The Great Fire of 1666 led to a Royal Proclamation requiring their use. The rebuilding programme was beyond the capacity of Company members; craftsmen flocked in from elsewhere and the monopoly was broken. The succeeding years saw a continuing reduction in the influence and fortunes of the Company which nonetheless retained ownership of a hall until the end of the 19th century and almshouses in Islington into the second half of the 20th century. Masters and Liverymen of the Company have ensured that it still plays its part in support of the City, its crafts and numerous charitable causes.

The Company ranks 37th in the order of precedence among the City of London Livery Companies. Two of its liverymen have served as Lord Mayor of London.

horizontal line