HISTORY


HMS Wellington was built at Devonport Dockyard in 1934. She was one of 13 Grimsby class warships built for service in the Commonwealth and Dependencies and from 1936 to 1939 she patrolled the waters around New Zealand.

At the outbreak of WWII HMS Wellington was recalled to perform convoy escort duties in the Atlantic. During six years of wartime service she rescued over 450 Merchant Navy seamen and was active at Dunkirk and the North African landings. She also shared the credit for sinking a U-Boat. Shortly after the end of the war she was retired and laid up at Pembroke Dock.

The Honorable Company of Master Mariners had been looking for a livery hall since 1939. After the war the chances of building a livery hall in London were remote. In 1947 HMS Wellington was made available by the Admiralty and the Company decided to buy her and convert her to a floating Livery Hall. HQS Wellington arrived at Victoria Embankment in 1948.

In 1991 major refurbishment was carried out over three months in dry-dock at Sheerness. In 2005 ownership was transferred to the Wellington Trust, a charitable trust established to ensure the preservation of this historic ship.

HQS Wellington - horizontal separator

HQS Wellington Battle of the Atlantic Exhibition - May to December 2013


Whole Ship Tours and Group Bookings are available by appointment.
Contact learning@thewellingtontrust.com or 020 7836 8179 for times and prices.

www.thewellingtontrust.com